Nothing says comfort food like this Healthy Banana Muffin Recipe!
Banana muffins are a family favorite and for good reason. There are so many different banana muffin recipes to try, so how to decide? What sets this banana yogurt muffin recipe apart is that it does not contain any refined sugar! Its unique flavor comes from the addition of Greek yogurt, and is sweetened with maple syrup plus plenty of ripened bananas! And it’s a super easy recipe to mix up in just one bowl, so it’s perfect for a quick breakfast or an after school snack.
Easy Banana Muffins
- Banana muffins are perfect for any day of the week! They make a healthy grab-and-go breakfast, an energizing midday snack, or a post-workout treat! Heat them up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a luscious late-night dessert!
- These healthy muffins are moist and delicious with a bit of a dense and chewy texture. Perfect with a morning coffee or afternoon cup of tea.
- Banana yogurt muffins are easy to make, bake, and take! Share them at after-school practice or a morning office meeting! Make a batch or two ahead of time and then freeze them for lunches and snacks.
What’s in Banana Muffins?
BANANAS: The best banana muffins are made with the bananas that no one wants because they’ve turned brown and spotty – but that’s the peak of flavor for muffins and banana bread! No time to bake? Peel bananas and freeze them until you’re ready to bake!
BATTER: This batter has tangy Greek yogurt and rich maple syrup which is the perfect blend of tangy and sweet to complement the bananas. Cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice offers a savory and aromatic balance! Make them gluten-free by substituting any favorite gluten-free flour blend.
MIX INS: Switch it up with add-ins! Chocolate chips and walnuts (or pecans) give banana muffins dessert status while still being healthy but other goodies like dried fruit, blueberries, oatmeal, chia seeds, or coconut will make new, delish muffins every time!
How to Make Banana Muffins
Follow these simple steps for the best banana muffins ever!
- In a large bowl, combine banana, yogurt, maple syrup, oil, and eggs. Stir in cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, and salt (as per recipe below).
- Mix in chocolate chips and nuts (if using) with flour.
- Bake in prepared muffin tins until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Avoid over-mixing the batter so the muffins do not become tough.
- Preheat oven to 400°F then reduce the heat to 375°F once muffins are in the oven. This will allow the muffins to rise quickly at the beginning with the hot heat and get a nice dome shape. Then they can bake through without burning. If muffins are browning too much, cover loosely with foil.
- Be sure to allow muffins to cool sufficiently before removing from muffin tins, otherwise they may fall slightly.
- Bake regular muffins for 18-20 minutes. Bake mini muffins for 11-13 minutes, and bake jumbo muffins for 20-24 minutes.
Keeping Muffins Moist!
Keep banana muffins in a zippered bag at room temperature for up to 5 days. Add a slice of bread to absorb any moisture from external temperature changes. Banana muffins can be frozen and stored in a freezer bag or airtight container for up to 2 months.
Tasty Banana Recipes!
Ripe bananas taste great in these other yummy recipes too!
- Banana Corn Muffins – just 5 minute prep!
- Sourdough Banana Bread – with sourdough starter
- Banana Coconut Muffins – so tasty
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins – a favorite
Healthy Banana Muffin Recipe
- 1 ¼ cup mashed banana
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup chocolate chips divided
- ¼ cup walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 400˚F with rack just below the middle of the oven. Grease muffin tins or use pan release.
- In a large bowl, mix banana, yogurt, maple syrup, oil, and eggs until well combined.
- Stir in cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, and salt.
- Toss ½ cup chocolate chips, and nuts if using, with flour and fold into banana mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly between 18-20 muffin tins.
- Top muffins with remaining chocolate chips.
- Pop muffins into the oven and reduce the temperature to 375˚F. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients.
- Do not over-mix muffin batter.
- Why the temperature change in the recipe? Adding muffins to a very hot oven, then dropping the temperature allows the muffins to rise quickly at the beginning, then bake through without burning.
- Cover muffins loosely with foil if they begin to brown too much.
- Cool muffins before removing from tin.
- Bake Times:
- mini muffins: 11-13 minutes
- regular muffins: 18-20 minutes
- jumbo muffins: 20-24 minutes
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe!