There are so many mouth watering flavors and textures that make up these delicious Caprese Skewers.
A colorful Caprese appetizer is always a crowd-pleasing favorite! Fresh mozzarella cheese (boccoccini), cherry tomatoes, and basil leaves are threaded onto skewers, then drizzled with a slightly sweet, yet sour balsamic glaze. It’s the ultimate mini- appetizer that is as delicious as it is beautiful. And it’s perfect to serve for so many different occasions and at any time of the year.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Caprese Skewers recipe to your APPETIZERS Board!
Quick & Easy Caprese Appetizer
- Every home cook needs a simple appetizer recipe in their recipe box! This festive recipe is company or crowd ready in minutes and easy to transport to a party or picnic.
- Fresh, healthy, and colorful Caprese skewers can be made in advance and drizzled with the marinade at the last minute!
Ingredients & Variations
CHERRY TOMATOES: Bright red cherry tomatoes are bursting with flavor and are easy to find! Choose red, yellow, or heirloom colors of light green or purple to add visual contrast.
MOZZARELLA: Fresh mozzarella comes in large balls that can be cut into cubes or in small balls called ‘bocconcini,’ either will do.
MARINADE: The key to the bright flavors in this recipe is a good quality balsamic glaze. No glaze? Make a reduction by reducing a ½ cup of balsamic vinegar with 1 teaspoon of sugar on medium heat. Allow to reduce then cool until thickened. PRO TIP: Add this DIY Italian seasoning mix to the glaze for extra flavor! Experiment with infused oils like garlic or chili oil if it’s on hand.
ADD-ONS: Make them meaty and add small chunks of salami, prosciutto, or a colorful assortment of green, black, or purple olives.
How to Make Caprese Skewers
Sharpen those skewers and have this appetizer ready for when the guests arrive!
- Tear basil leaves in half, if necessary.
- Add a cherry tomato, basil leaf, and one bocconcini ball to each skewer.
- Arrange on a platter (as per the recipe below).
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
Caprese Skewer Recipe Tips
If the basil leaves are large then tear the leaves instead of cutting them. Cutting will oxidize the edges faster, making them turn brown.
Set out extra oil and glaze for guests to help themselves, if desired.
Prepare Caprese skewers in advance and keep them chilled in the refrigerator. Drizzle before serving. Save leftovers in the refrigerator and use them to top a salad or chop up the tomatoes and cheese and spread over homemade bread or make ricotta toast, or serve over pasta.
Other Easy Appetizers To Try!
- Easy Crostini – delicious served with Caprese skewers!
- Candied Bacon – a favorite.
- Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts – delicious.
- Velveeta Rotel Dip – quick 10 minute prep.
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers – as an appetizer or main dish.
- 24 basil leaves or 12 large basil leaves, halved
- 24 grape tomatoes about 2 cups, or cherry tomatoes
- 24 mini bocconcini balls approximately 12 ounces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic glaze or balsamic reduction, or good balsamic vinegar, plus 1 Tablespoon more for dipping if desired
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- Rip large basil leaves in half.
- Add 1 tomato, 1 piece of basil, and 1 bocconcini ball to each toothpick or skewer.
- Place skewers on a platter. Just before serving, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze*. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with additional balsamic glaze and olive oil for dipping if desired.
- *If preferred, allow everyone to drizzle with oil and balsamic glaze, or dip in the glaze, as they serve themselves.
- Do not cut large basil leaves as they will turn brown, instead tear them to the appropriate size.
- Make Caprese skewers in advance and refrigerate, then drizzle with balsamic just prior to serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers and use in other recipes or as a salad topping.
- Do not freeze.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Caprese Skewers recipe!