Try cooking rice in Instant Pot with these simple instructions just one time, and it’s sure to become the favorite way to get tender, fluffy and delicious rice every time!
Notice that the Instant Pot has a function button specifically to cook rice, making it an absolute winner! Just press the button and let the Instant Pot work its magic!
It’s perfect used to meal prep for dinners and lunches all week long!
Easy Instant Pot Rice
- Rice is a staple in homes all around the world and is enjoyed in many cuisines. It’s affordable, healthy, can be stored for years, and complements all kinds of recipes!
- Cooking rice on the stovetop can be a bit tricky and there’s always the risk of undercooking or overcooking it, so it needs constant supervision. Enter the Instant pot method which is “set it and forget it!”
- The Instant Pot is a game-changer to cook beans, legumes, and rice. With its precise cooking functions and automatic pressure release, it takes the guesswork out and produces perfect results every time.
Ingredients and Variations
Rice: Wild rice, basmati, long-grain brown rice, jasmine rice, and plain white rice can be cooked easily in the Instant Pot and most models will have automatic settings for a perfect result every time!
Water/Broth: Rice in the Instant pot can be made with plain water if the rice is planned for multiple recipes. Alternately cook it with a cup of chicken, vegetable or beef broth, or other dry seasonings to infuse more flavor.
How to Cook Rice in the Instant Pot
- Rinse rice, making sure there are no small pebbles or debris. This will also remove some of the starch from the outside so it isn’t sticky.
- Add rice and water to the Instant Pot. Brown rice, wild rice, and other varieties need a bit more water than white rice.
- Cover and seal the Instant pot. Select HIGH pressure for 3 minutes (as per recipe below, or refer to the user manual for that particular model).
- Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes, then release the pressure fully. Fluff rice and serve.
Do not release the pressure too early as the rice may not be cooked fully.
Best Ways to Use Rice
It’s nearly impossible to find a recipe that rice won’t fit into! There are so many varieties of rice that accent any kind of dish from sides to salads, to mains, and even desserts like a creamy rice pudding!
Serve Instant pot rice with chicken dishes like creamy lemon chicken, or make Instant Pot stuffed pepper soup and add some thick, crusty no-knead bread to soak up all that flavorful broth. Lemon rice goes great with fish dishes like baked whole fish or sheet-pan shrimp.
Mexican Night is perfect for a big bowl of Spanish rice to go with chicken fajitas, or make them both at the same time in the Instant Pot.
On Asian night, make kung pao chicken and use the Instant pot to make vegetable fried rice.
- Keep leftover Instant Pot white rice in an air-tight container where it will keep for about a week. Be sure it is drained so that it stays firm.
- Fluff it up with a fork and reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop with a little bit of water or broth.
- Freeze rice in zippered bags, label it with the date, and lay flat on the bottom of the freezer. Once fully frozen, store stacked upright to save space.
Other Easy Instant Pot Sides!
Instant Pot Rice Recipe
- 1¼ cup water
- 1 cup white rice
- ½ teaspoon salt optional
- In the Instant Pot cooking pot, combine water and rice.
- Cover the Instant Pot, seal the lid, and select manual pressure high. Set the timer for 3 minutes.
- Allow for natural release for 10 minutes, then manually release Instant Pot pressure.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- Makes 4 half cup servings. Recipe can be doubled or tripled following exact instructions.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an air-tight container for about a week, or freeze in zippered bags for about 1 month.
- Reheat rice in the microwave, or heat on the stovetop, with a little bit of water or broth, Fluff with a fork.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!