This stovetop recipe for homemade apple sauce is the best way to usher in Fall!
Lightly sweetened with sugar and seasonal spices, this recipe is so easy and can be used in so many ways!
Best of all, you can adjust the sweetness and spice to taste!
Homemade Apple Sauce Recipe
- Make this homemade applesauce recipe smooth or chunky and adjust the sweetness or spice to taste.
- Use any variety of apples that are on sale or a combination of any kind!
- Freeze portions and enjoy as a snack, pop cubes into a smoothie or overnight oats, or serve warm over vanilla ice cream!
- Healthy applesauce can replace the fats in homemade quick breads like fresh pear bread and sourdough banana bread.
Ingredients and Variations
Homemade applesauce is so easy with apples and fragrant seasonings that are likely already in the pantry!
Apples: Any apples will do, but a combination of sweet/tart, and firm/soft apples produces the very best results. Granny Smith, Cortland, Pink Lady, Red Delicious…any variety can be used!
Seasonings: Lemon juice is needed to keep the fruit bright and brightly flavored. Homemade applesauce can be made using your favorite sugar-free sweetener, adjust the amounts as necessary. Apple pie spice can be switched out for cinnamon or even pumpkin pie spice.
Variations: Boost the apple flavor and switch out the water for apple juice or cider. Pop in some dried cranberries or blueberries at the end of Step 4 (below) if desired.
The Best Way to Cut Apples for Applesauce
- Place the apple on a cutting board and cut from top to bottom, around the core, in four easy pieces. Discard the core.
- Then, cut each quarter into smaller pieces for quick cooking and pureeing. Easy peasy!
Add this to the Tip section – Leave the peels on! Keep all those valuable nutrients, plus add a pop of color and flavor, by leaving the peels on! No one will know once it is pureed.
If using a masher, it is easy to pick any large peels out if you desire.
How to Make Homemade Applesauce
It doesn’t take long to make wholesome and healthy batches of applesauce ready to enjoy or freeze!
- Cook all ingredients except sugar in a large pot on the stovetop until the apples are soft (as per the recipe card below). Stir occasionally and add additional water, if necessary.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar to the level desired.
- Blend with an immersion blender until desired consistency.
- Keep homemade applesauce for about a week in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container.
- Freeze portions in small containers or freezer bags. I like to freeze in 1-cup portions. Freeze for up to 4 months.
Have you tried this Homemade Apple Sauce recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Homemade Apple Sauce
- Peel apples (if desired). Core and cut apples.
- Add apples, water, lemon juice, apple pie spice, and vanilla to a large pot.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat until apples are very soft, about 25 to 30 minutes. Stir occasionally, adding a small amount of water if the apples are starting to get dry.
- Remove from heat. If using sugar, add a little at a time until applesauce reaches desired sweetness.
- Use an immersion blender or other blender to blend until the applesauce reaches desired consistency. For a chunkier sauce, use a potato masher.
- Recipe yields about 3 cups apple sauce.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!