When it’s time to break out the Traeger, be sure to make some of this terrific Smoked Garlic!
Recipes using smoked garlic always end up tasting amazing. With rich layers of flavor and amazing spreadable texture, it adds such a defining flavor to everything from meat & potatoes to smoked garlic pasta. Read on to find out how to smoke your own garlic!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Smoked Garlic recipe to your EXTRAS Board!
What We Love About Smoked Garlic
- It’s simple to throw some garlic cloves into the electric smoker alongside an entrée recipe. With almost no effort, a gourmet level condiment can be had that will level up anyone’s cooking game.
- It keeps for weeks in the refrigerator but doesn’t have a briny flavor, which makes it perfect for adding to meat dishes for extra smoky roasted garlic flavor. Mash it with sea salt to use as seasoning for rib roast or beef.
- It’s so incredibly versatile that it also works perfectly with seafood dishes. Use it to make a lemon garlic dressing for a shrimp salad, or mix it into crab dip to add extra flavor. And it is truly awesome smeared on smoked or grilled salmon, creating amazing layers of flavor!
GARLIC There are so many varieties of garlic to choose from. For the true gourmet, black garlic is a treasure, but for a fraction of the cost, it’s easy to make a very acceptable substitute right in the smoker. Smoked pickled garlic is easy to make, just dry and wrap the cloves in foil, leaving a hole at the top for smoke to get in. Elephant garlic with its large cloves and the milder flavor is delicious smoked, of course. To make your own French smoked garlic, purchase Ail Rose, aka pink garlic!
OLIVE OIL Olive oil is used to enhance flavor and protect the garlic cloves from drying out. Any type of oil can be used, (or melted butter) however, olive oil tends to taste the best. There is just something about that tasty Mediterranean flavor that can’t be beat!
How to Smoke Garlic
It’s super easy to learn how to make garlic in the smoker, it’s just a matter of how long to leave it in:
- Preheat the smoker and prepare garlic (per recipe instructions below)
- Drizzle with oil and smoke packets for 3-4 hours until soft and tender.
- Peel cloves or squeeze from the bulbs and mash.
How to Cold Smoke Garlic
Cold smoked garlic is great for larger amounts. It’s a slightly different method. Cloves should be peeled, otherwise the smoke won’t have a chance to get into the inner layers of the garlic.
- Peel desired amount of garlic cloves and toss with olive oil, enough to lightly coat.
- Spread whole cloves in a single layer on a smoker tray.
- Place a tray of ice cubes on the bottom rack to keep the temperature as low as possible.
- Set the smoker to “smoke” setting for no more than two hours.
Cooking with Smoked Garlic
It’s not hard to figure out how to use smoked garlic in cooking. The possibilities are endless!
- Try making roasted smoked garlic by peeling smoked cloves, drizzling with oil, and covering with shredded Parmesan. Roast in a slow oven (200°F) until soft and smoky for an unforgettable keto snack.
- It’s delicious mixed in with Bavarian style sausage or blended into a sauce with mayonnaise and hot sauce for chicken wings.
- Make a smoked garlic mayo for a roast beef sandwich or whip up an incredibly tasty smoked version of this garlic hummus recipe!
- Smoked garlic mayo is simply not to be missed, and smoked garlic oil is well worth learning how to make. (Delicious drizzled on roasted almonds!)
- Last but definitely not least, smoked garlic can be used to make homemade garlic butter to spread on a slice of fresh homemade bread!
How to Store Smoked Garlic
Store smoked garlic in a sealed airtight bag or container, and it will last in the refrigerator for 6-8 weeks. Or, try mashing smoked garlic and freezing in ice cube trays. Once frozen, pop out and store in a zippered bag indefinitely in the freezer. These can be thawed and added to all your savory favorites!
Recipes Using Smoked Garlic
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew – tender & savory.
- Beef Brisket Slow Cooker Recipe – amazing flavor.
- Instant Pot Pasta With Sausage – classic comfort.
- Best Pot Roast – melts in your mouth.
- Pork Carnitas – spicy favorite.
- 4-6 bulbs garlic whole heads
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat smoker to 250°F.
- Trim the top of the garlic heads to expose the cloves. Lay on foil paper and drizzle each garlic bulb with ½-1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Loosely wrap the garlic in foil. Keep the top of the foil open to allow smoke to enter.
- Place foil pack on grill in smoker. Smoke for 3-4 hours or until the garlic is soft and tender.
- Remove from smoker and peel away the garlic skin or squeeze the garlic from the bulbs.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!