This Instant Pot popcorn recipe will make a delicious snack in minutes!
Popcorn is a classic snack that everyone loves, and there are countless ways to make it. But did you know you can make light and fluffy popcorn in the Instant Pot in less than 5 minutes? Ready for instant snacking! Take Instant Pot popcorn to a picnic, or on a road trip for healthy snacking without any mess!
Perfect Popcorn Every Time!
- One of the more unique and convenient ways to make popcorn is in the Instant Pot, especially if you need a lot in a short amount of time compared to the microwave or the air fryer!
- Popcorn is a popular snack that stands the test of time! It can be seasoned sweet, savory, cheesy, or the old-fashioned way with melted butter and a dash of salt! There’s a flavor for everyone!
- Compared to other snack options, popcorn is low in calories and high in fiber. It’s also gluten-free and a good source of antioxidants and tastes great even without butter and salt.
- Popcorn is the ultimate snack for bringing friends and family together, no wonder there’s always a heaping bowl of popcorn on movie nights and sleepovers!
Ingredients and Variations
Popcorn: Look for the specific label “popcorn kernels” on the bag or jar, free from additives. Use popcorn that is less than 8 months old for the best results. Different colored kernels are fun to use and they do have slightly different flavors. Yellow popcorn is slightly nuttier and white popcorn is extra fluffy.
Oil: Avocado oil is light and nearly flavorless, so it’s a good choice for making Instant Pot popcorn. The second best oil is coconut oil because it can withstand high heat before burning (aka “smoke point”). Vegetable or canola oil is the most common because nearly everyone already has some in the pantry. For savory, Italian-flavored popcorn, olive oil is an excellent choice.
Popcorn Seasonings: Anything goes when it comes to popcorn! Besides butter and salt, make it spicy and try some chili seasoning, a savory Italian blend, parmesan cheese, ranch dressing, or make a sweet popcorn and toss it with cinnamon sugar! Feeling fancy? Try this recipe for zesty pepperoni pizza popcorn or a sweet caramel marshmallow popcorn and watch it disappear!
How to Make Instant Pot Popcorn
Check the make and model of your Instant Pot for additional information.
- Heat oil in the Instant Pot and add butter (optional) and popcorn kernels (as per recipe below).
- Stir and cover with a glass lid.
- Shake the Instant Pot until the popcorn is popped, taking care that it doesn’t burn.
- Season and serve.
Pro Tips for Instant Pot Popcorn
- Fresh is best for Instant Pot popcorn because older kernels may not pop well or pop at all, so it’s best to start with fresh!
- Shake the Instant Pot every minute or so because unpopped kernels will weigh down the freshly popped ones resulting in incomplete popping.
More Tasty Snacks
Instant Pot Popcorn
- 2 tablespoons oil *
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tablespoons butter optional**, or more, to taste
- salt optional, to taste
- Add oil to Instant Pot and set to saute.
- Heat oil for about 2 minutes, or until Instant Pot displays the word “hot.”
- Add butter if desired and melt it. Add popcorn kernels to Instant Pot.
- Stir for about 1 minute, then cover with a glass cover***.
- After about 2-3 minutes, popcorn will start popping.
- Stirring or shaking the Instant Pot every minutes or so, allow to pop for about 5 minutes, or until most kernels have popped. Watch through the cover that the popcorn does not burn.
- Add melted butter if desired, salt to taste, serve, and enjoy!
**Butter can be added along with the oil, or added to the popped popcorn.
***Use any glass cover or lid that fits the Instant Pot (even a large glass bowl would work). It doesn’t need to be pressurized for this recipe, so the locking lid isn’t used. If you don’t have a glass cover, cover with another cover and check about 2-3 minutes after popcorn is popping, then every minute to make sure they popcorn does not burn.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!