This egg roll in a bowl recipe is sure to please everyone at the table. Perfect for the whole family, it’s keto, weight watchers friendly, and low in calories.
Who doesn’t love a healthy, low carb version of a restaurant favorite? Egg roll in a bowl tastes so good, plus it’s a healthier version!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe to your Dinner Board!
Perfect for a quick dinner or cold lunch, this meat and veggie bowl will be a family go-to all year long! My kids cannot get enough of this dish!
If you are looking for a fancy or ethnic presentation of this egg roll in a bowl, try these ornate bowls at a great price on Amazon. Egg roll in a bowl is a great appetizer for a Chinese food themed party.
Ingredients and Variations
This recipe uses ground pork sausage, but chicken egg roll in a bowl is totally doable, too!
PROTEIN: Make it with ground beef, ground pork, turkey, or shrimp!
VEGGIES: Crunchy veggies like bean sprouts, carrots, and cabbage create the perfect textures! Leave the meat out for a vegetarian version.
SPICES: Combine the pungent flavors of ginger, garlic, and soy sauce for an absolute winner of a dinner!
Bust out that Instant Pot to really cut down on the steps and cook time —especially if you’re using frozen ingredients!
How to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl
Pork egg roll in a bowl is even easier to prepare than it looks!
- Brown meat with onion, drain fat.
- Add everything else, reserving ¼ cup of chives and the sesame seeds.
- Saute until carrots and cabbage are tender-crisp.
- Garnish and serve!
PRO TIP: A prepackaged bag of coleslaw can be used in place of the cabbage and carrots mixture. See recipe notes.
What to Eat with Egg Roll in a Bowl
This is already a full meal, but egg roll in a bowl is perfectly complemented by red leaf salad, some roasted broccoli, or a nice slice of fresh bread (if you’re not going for low carb ;)). And why not make a batch of delicious Wonton Crisps as an appetizer? (They also work great for scooping this up (from experience!)!)
Can You Freeze Egg Roll in a Bowl?
Sure! It’s easy to freeze egg roll in a bowl! Once it is fully cooled, simply scoop it into zip top quart-sized bags (or smaller bags for individual servings) with the date labeled on the outside.
Freeze for up to one month. To reheat, simply pop it in a bowl and microwave on high for a few minutes. Stir thoroughly, re-season with soy sauce, and enjoy!
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 pound ground pork or chicken
- ½ onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger grated
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 3-4 cups shredded cabbage red, green, or mixed*
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce low sodium
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil or to taste
- ½ cup chives chopped, divided (or green part of green onions)
- cilantro for garnish
- sesame seeds for garnish, optional
- Brown pork with onion in a skillet until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Add ginger, garlic, mushrooms, cabbage, carrots, soy sauce, sesame oil, and about ¼ cup of chives. Cook 5 minutes, or until cabbage is cooked through.
- Garnish with remaining chives, cilantro, and sesame seeds if using, and serve.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Pin this Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe!
Adapted from Spend With Pennies