Indulge in the vibrant flavors found in this corn salad recipe, perfect for summer gatherings and picnics.
Sweet corn, celery, peppers, and onions are tossed in a cheesy lime vinaigrette with just a touch of Tex-Mex heat!
This delicious Mexico inspired medley is chock full of freshness and crunch!
Colorful Corn Salad!
- Spicy corn salad is simple, clean, and fresh and a welcome change from ordinary mixed greens!
- Make corn salad and the dressing in the same serving bowl for easy transporting and even easier cleanup!
- Make it as a tasty side or scoop it up corn salsa-style with Frito’s corn chips, anything goes!
Ingredients and Variations
Use what you’ve got to create a new corn salad every time!
Corn: Frozen or canned corn will work, as will fresh if it’s available. Be sure to rinse and drain corn well.
Vegetables: Celery, bell peppers, green onions, and diced jalapeno are the perfect (and healthy!) base for a cold corn salad. Cherry tomatoes, sliced radishes, and cucumbers are also Mexico-themed veggies that add color and flavor to corn salad! Add a can of drained black beans, chickpeas, or cooked and chilled quinoa to stretch corn salad a little further for those bigger appetites.
Dressing: Lime juice and olive oil with a few pantry seasonings are all you need to blend this fun and festive salad together. A cilantro lime dressing is a good match for corn salad and it can also be used to marinate chicken or brush over grilled corn on the cob, elote style.
Cheese: Parmesan has the perfect salty complement to the sweet corn and spicy jalapenos, but any other dry cheese like feta, gorgonzola, or cotija will do.
Variations: Get a true Mexico flavor and roast corn on a baking sheet under the broiler for a few minutes. Broiling the kernels makes them extra sweet and adds a smoky flavor to the dish. Switch out jalapeno for chipotle peppers or green chiles, if you like. Toss in some cooked bow-tie or rotini pasta at the end of Step 3 for a heartier salad.
How to Make Cold Corn Salad
- Rinse and drain corn and mix in a bowl with celery, red pepper, jalapeno, green onion, and parsley or cilantro, (as per the recipe below).
- Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with avocado slices or a wedge of lime, if desired.
Tips for the Best Spicy Corn Salad
- Corn salad is so versatile! It can be served crisp and cold, or warmed as a filling with chicken tacos, or shrimp tacos, or add a spoonful to fish tacos.
- Spice is nice, but feel free to decrease or omit altogether the jalapenos and Tabasco, the remaining flavors will still be robust!
Storing Summer Corn Salad
- Make up to a day ahead and keep it chilled so the flavors can continue to blend!
- For best results, keep corn salad covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Stir and drain, if necessary before serving.
Corn Salad Recipe
- 12 ounces frozen corn 1 package
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno * diced
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice about 3 small limes
- 1½ Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce * Sriracha or Tabasco
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes *
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- Add frozen corn to a colander and run under water to thaw corn. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, mix together corn, celery, red pepper, jalapeno*, green onion, and parsley.
- Add Parmesan, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, hot sauce*, red pepper flakes*, salt, and pepper and toss to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to meld.
- Serve with tortilla chips, as a side salad, or with lettuce or chicken as a main dish!
- Removing the seeds of the jalapenos
- Add only half of the jalapeno, taste, and add more if you’d like
- Taste before adding in the hot sauce and red pepper flakes and add to taste
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!