Pumpkin zucchini bread is a slightly sweet and savory combination of fruits, veggies, seeds, and nuts that makes a healthy breakfast or delicious dessert!
It’s perfect as a grab-and-go slice or an afternoon treat and there’s nutrition in every bite! Bananas give it natural sweetness and flavor, zucchini makes it super moist, while heart-healthy flax seeds and pecans provide tasty texture. This tender and delicious quick bread is worth doubling because everyone will be clamoring for more! Cool on and freeze it, then enjoy the other warm and fresh out of the oven.
Healthy Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
- Pumpkin zucchini is a low-sugar bread but gets its main source of sweetness from mashed bananas.
- This recipe has lots of healthy ingredients but still tastes like a decadent dessert. It’s a great afternoon pick-me-up or a tasty surprise tucked into a backpack or briefcase!
- Zucchini adds a shot of nutrition to this bread without any flavor, but the real secret for adding zucchini to quick breads is that it makes them extra moist! So be sure not to drain or squeeze the zucchini dry once it’s shredded!
- Quick breads freeze beautifully so why not make an extra loaf to save for later? Serve with some homemade honey butter, or cut thick slices and use for a festive French toast dish!
Ingredients and Variations
BATTER: Whole wheat flour and flax seed give this loaf a deep dark color and lots of fiber without being heavy. Switch out the whole wheat flour for your favorite gluten-free blend, just check the packaging for the proper conversion ratios. Sour cream can be used in place of Greek yogurt.
PUMPKIN: Be sure to use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling, which is pre-seasoned.
ZUCCHINI: Any zucchini will do, but for this recipe, yellow zukes were used because that’s what was available from the garden! And no need to peel, either.
BANANAS: Older bananas are always sweeter and mash easier in bread recipes, however, if bananas aren’t available, use an equal amount of applesauce.
SPICES: Fragrant pumpkin pie spice is half the appeal of this cozy bread recipe. Make it yourself here and use it in everything from pumpkin pie to oatmeal.
NUTS: Toast pecans or walnuts in a dry saute pan to make them extra crunchy as well as intensify their flavor.
ADD-INS: Dried cranberries, flaked coconut, mini white or dark chocolate chips will dress up pumpkin zucchini bread without overwhelming its flavors.
How to Make Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
Follow these simple steps to make this delicious quick bread:
- Whisk the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls, then combine dry into wet until just combined (as per recipe below).
- Pour batter into a prepared loaf pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Serve warm or chilled.
Best Tips for Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
- As with all quick breads, be sure to mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined, as overmixing will cause a heavy, dry loaf.
- Keep pumpkin zucchini bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days since it will spoil quickly.
- Tightly wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. It will last in the freezer up to 6 months.
- Freeze slices between pieces of parchment paper in a zippered bag and take them out to thaw as needed or quick thaw them in the microwave.
Other Easy Zucchini Recipes!
- Lemon Zucchini Bread – delicious flavor
- Zucchini Banana Bread – always a favorite
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins – decadent!
Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Combine both types of flour, flax, baking powder and soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl mix bananas, pumpkin, yogurt, sugar, oil, and egg.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture, then fold until just mixed. Do not over mix.
- Fold zucchini and nuts in gently.
- Add batter to loaf pan. Bake for 60-75 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center, if it comes out clean, the loaf is done.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cook completely.
- Do not over mix the wet and dry ingredients as it may cause a heavy, dry loaf.
- Store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- It will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week, and in the freezer for up to 6 months, wrapped in plastic wrap.
- It's a good idea to freeze slices between pieces of parchment paper, then in a zippered bag. This makes it easy to grab a piece quickly and thaw it in the microwave.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
Recipe from Yum & Yummer