Any season can be grilling season when you bake these Pineapple Sausage Kabobs in the oven!
Sweet pineapple and spicy sausage are threaded onto skewers and brushed with bbq sauce to make a super easy, super delicious and portable appetizer! These tasty shish kabobs are a unique twist on the classic favorite. No need to grill, they taste amazing baked in the oven. This super easy recipe can be served as an appetizer, or even an entree with a side of rice, potatoes, or sautéed greens.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Pineapple Sausage Kabobs recipe to your APPETIZERS & ENTREES Board!
Easy Appetizer or Main Course
- Three ingredients in 30 minutes? These kebabs are the best part of any party, potluck, or barbecue!
- Everyone loves recipes that can be appetizers, sides, or main dishes, and these kabobs definitely fit the bill! Serve with a fresh Red Leaf Salad and a slice of Bread for a delicious meal.
- Oven, stovetop, grill, or air fryer, pineapple sausage kabobs are brushed with barbecue sauce so each bite is moist and flavorful!
Ingredients & Variations
PROTEIN: Italian sausages are a little bit spicy and taste great next to sweet pineapple! Other link-style sausages like bratwurst or kielbasa also work well. Add or sub in cooked meatballs and shrimp for variation or to save time.
FRUIT & VEGGIES: Pineapple is a must because it’s got that uber-sweet flavor that goes with any kind of meat and barbecue or teriyaki sauce. Veggie selections are potatoes (pre-cooked, cooled, and cut into chunks), red onions cut into small wedges, bell peppers, mushrooms, and 1” thick wheels of corn.
SAUCE: Choose your favorite bbq, teriyaki, or sweet and sour sauce.
VARIATIONS: If it fits on a skewer, it can be a kabob! Make Mediterranean kebabs by using chunks of eggplant, peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms. Brush with this super versatile Homemade Italian Dressing Recipe before cooking.
How to Cook Kabobs in the Oven
This tasty recipe cooks up quickly and it’s so easy to prepare:
- Alternate pieces of sausage and pineapple on skewers soaked in water.
- Brush on desired sauce and bake as per the recipe below.
- Flip the kebabs and brush with more sauce and bake
On the Stovetop:
- Prepare skewers according to recipe below.
- Oil and prepare a pan to medium-high heat, depending on the individual range.
- Cook about 6 to 7 minutes per side.
On the Grill:
- Preheat the grill on medium-high.
- Prepare skewers according to recipe below.
- Brush racks with oil.
- Grill prepared skewers about 10 to 15 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes.
In the Air Fryer:
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F
- Place prepared skewers on a greased piece of foil or parchment paper.
- Air fry about 6 to 7 minutes per side.
IMPORTANT TIP: In all cooking scenarios, it is important to ensure sausage is cooked until a safe temperature for consumption is reached. For Pork, this temperature is 160˚F, and for chicken it is 165˚F.
Tips for Juicy Pineapple Sausage Kabobs
- Always soak the wooden skewers in water so they don’t burn during baking, or use metal skewers. Allow metal skewers to cool before serving to avoid burns.
- If using canned chunks of pineapple, drain well and pat them dry with a clean paper towel. The sauce will cling better to the fruit if is is dry.
- Right before serving, place shish kabobs under the broiler for a crispy, caramelized coating!
Other Tasty Appetizers!
- Baked Corn Ribs – unique way to enjoy corn on the cob.
- Grilled Quesadillas – perfect as an appetizer or main!
- Cranberry Meatballs – savory and delicious.
- Beef Kabobs – tender & savory!
- Baked Zucchini Sticks – so crispy made in the oven.
- Buffalo Chicken Wings – juicy inside, crispy outside.
Pineapple Sausage Kabobs
- 5 Italian sausages sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 pineapple cut into ½ inch chunks (may not use entire pineapple), or about 30 ounces, 1-2 cans
- 1 cup barbecue sauce your favorite variety
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Thread sausage and pineapple onto skewers, alternating pineapple and sausage.
- Brush sausage and pineapple on skewers with barbecue sauce and place on baking tray. Reserve remaining barbecue sauce.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Flip, brush with remaining barbecue sauce, and continue to bake for 8-12 minutes, or until sausage reaches 160˚F for pork sausage, or 165˚F for chicken sausage.
- Optional: Turn oven to broil, and broil for 2 minutes to caramelize the sauce.
- In all cooking scenarios, ensure sausage is cooked until a safe temperature for consumption is reached. For pork, this temperature is 160˚F, and for chicken it is 165˚F.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.