This recipe for Boursin cheese pasta is so quick and easy, perfect for busy weeknights!
Juicy pieces of chicken are cooked with mushrooms and then simmered in a creamy Boursin cheese sauce with pasta. No wonder it’s a family fave! This amazing recipe can be doubled up and baked into a casserole for a get-together or when company’s coming! Alter the ingredients to your preference. Try it with shrimp, scallops, or your favorite meat substitute. After all, it’s the rich, cheesy sauce that’s the real reason everyone is raving about this delicious dish!
Boursin Cheese Pasta!
- Similar to cream cheese, Boursin cheese has a buttery flavor that’s infused with herbs and spices which makes this dish extra easy to make since fewer ingredients are needed for a spectacular flavor!
- Easy to make, Boursin cheese pasta is a quick and easy dish for every day or for when company’s coming! Serve with a tangy green fennel salad and a thick slice of homemade bread with garlic butter.
- This fabulous recipe has so many options for variations! Mix and match the meat, pasta, and veggies or use up what’s left in the fridge to create a new dish!
- Boursin cheese pasta is a tasty, budget-friendly dish that can be made once and enjoyed all week long!
Ingredients and Variations
Pasta: Choose a pasta like penne or rigatoni that has ridges or is hollow so the creamy sauce can cling! Large shells, bowtie, rotini, and bucatini are good choices for Boursin cheese pasta.
Chicken: Chicken is perfect for this recipe, but Italian sausage, mini beef meatballs, and even shrimp are excellent options. For a meatless Boursin cheese pasta, fried tofu or seitan can be cooked the same way as the chicken. It can also be made as a meatless meal by just doubling up the pasta and veggies.
Mushrooms: Quarter instead of slicing the mushrooms for visual appeal. Experiment with other mushrooms like morels, shiitakes, or oyster mushrooms. Other great veggies to switch out or add are halved cherry tomatoes, zucchini, or chopped spinach.
Sauce: Boursin cheese is the star of this recipe because it melts so perfectly with the cream and parmesan. Boursin melts into a flavorful sauce but feta and blue cheese crumbles also melt well and will impart a different flavor as well. Heavy cream makes the sauce rich and smooth but could be switched out for half-and-half for fewer calories.
How to Make Boursin Cheese Pasta
- Cook pasta and reserve some of the pasta water.
- Saute chicken and set aside (as per the recipe below).
- Cook mushrooms, Boursin, and cream, and then add parmesan cheese and black pepper until melted and smooth.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and stir in the remaining cream to the sauce, if needed.
- Add pasta and toss (add pasta water to thin sauce if desired).
Garnish with parsley before serving.
- Keep leftover Boursin cheese pasta in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat on the stovetop and thin out the sauce with a little milk, if needed.
- Freeze portions in zippered bags for about 4 weeks, but know that pasta won’t be as firm once it’s thawed. When reheating, add fresh pasta and parmesan cheese and it will be like new again!
More Favorite Pasta Recipes
Chicken Boursin Cheese Pasta
- 12 ounces penne pasta or rigatoni
- 1 cup reserved pasta cooking water
- 2-3 chicken breasts 1 pound
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms quartered
- 2.6 ounces Boursin cheese ½ package, any flavor
- ½ cup heavy cream more as needed
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese additional for garnish as desired
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve about 1 cup pasta cooking water, then drain pasta.
- Meanwhile, slice chicken into thin, bite size slices.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add chicken breasts, stirring to cook through and brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil and mushrooms to skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add Boursin and ½ cup cream. Add parmesan and pepper and stir until melted. Return chicken to skillet. Stir to coat, adding remaining cream as needed.
- Add pasta to skillet and toss to combine. Add pasta cooking water as needed to reach desired consistency. Add salt to taste.
- Serve and garnish with parsley.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Leftovers can also be frozen but the pasta will not have the same consistency.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!